Protest at ATOS and against Workfare In Ipswich
Public meeting of Suffolk People’s Assembly.
As part of the Bonfire of Austerity on November the 5th there were protests across the country against ATOS and Workfare.
in Ipswich at Silent Street, amongst our other activities, there was a vigil outside the ATOS office and Job Centre.
This was an important demonstration in the town against the hated ATOS and Liberal-Tory Workfare plans
Around thirty people came, in the drizzle.
They heard an impassioned speech by a representative of Suffolk Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC).
We demand the Coalition Government:
· Scraps the Work Capability Assessment
· Scraps the wasteful and punitive Work Programme which also pays millions to private companies.
· Stops unpaid work for benefit claimants – if work needs doing, people should be paid for doing it. Unpaid work takes away work from workers and undermines wages.
· Stops unjustified, deliberate sanctioning of benefit claimants.
· Stops further cuts in benefits.
· Benefit claimants did not cause the financial crisis or the public spending deficit.
Radio Suffolk interviewed Martin.
It was intensely moving.